How do I Get a Veteran Designation on My Driver's License?
Drivers License Designation Information Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA)
1. Applicants must have received a discharge document:
- DD FORM 214
- NGB FORM 22
- Federal VA Medical ID Card (service connected)
- Retired Military ID
- In cases where a discharge document was not issued, please contact the
DMVA at 1-800-547-2838
* The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs does not consider an Honorable Discharge Certificate to show official character of service, therefore, the DMVA requests additional documentation, such as those listed.
2. Applicants must have a character of service under conditions other than dishonorable:
- Honorable (HD)
- Under Honorable Conditions (UHC)
- General (GD)
3. If applicants have any of the characters of service listed below, the applicant DOES NOT qualify:
- Uncharacterized – unless service connected disability rating from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or Reservist on Active Duty for training
- Under Other than Honorable Conditions (OTH)
- Bad Conduct (BCD)
- Dishonorable (DD)
4. Applicants DO NOT qualify if they are on Active Duty AND DO NOT have a discharge document under conditions listed in #2.
5. Applicants must self-certify. Only the applicant may check the Veterans Designation box.
6. The DMVA will audit submissions to verify Veteran status.
a. If the DMVA is unable to verify character of service, they will request a copy of the
applicants discharge documents, as listed in #1, to be sent to the DMVA. Questions? Please call 1-800-547-2838
DMVA Mailing Address: ODAG-VA, Bldg 0-47 FTIG, Annville, PA 17003-5002, ATTN: DLD DMVA Fax: 1-717-861-8589
DMVA Email: Email DMVA Outreach Teams and Vans